This article features information about typical characteristics of non flowering plants, definition, and classification. Let’s check out to get some interesting facts about non-flowering plants. Fun fact of the day.
Definition of Non Flowering Plants Non flowering plants can be defined as those plants, which cannot produce flowers and most of them reproduce through spores. They are completely different from flowering plants. These types of plants cannot produce flowers and seeds. Non flowering plants have vascular tissues and they reproduce by spores.
There are billion types of plant species found in this biosphere. After the classification of different plants species in to their separate kingdom, biologists again sub classified these plant species into two categories. This classification was based on the plants that produce flowers and their type of reproduction.
List of Non Flowering Plants
There are more than 700 types of non-flowering plants present on this biosphere, among them some famous non flowering plants are ferns and horsetails. Other examples of non flowering plants are Moses. Liverworts, Cut-leaved Grape Fern, Royal Fern, Cinnamon Fern, Curly-grass Fern, Bead Fern, Lichens, Conifers, Cycads, Algae, Rosidae, Magnoliidae, Gingko, Hornworts, Whisk ferns, Club mosses, etc. If you are a feline lover, you can also check out for interesting random cat facts for kids. There are three types of non flowering plants. These classifications was based on: The presence of roots; The absence of roots; Their seeds – spore bearing and naked seeds.
Characteristics of Non Flowering Plants
- These plants do not produce flowers, fruits and seeds.
- Non flowering plants vary in their shape, size and colour.
- They are the first and oldest (about 450 million years ago) plant present on this biosphere.
- They are mainly characterized by spore production, absence of flowers and true roots.
- These plants are simpler compared to those flowering plants.
- They have higher level of adaptability to the environment.
- Reproduction in non flowering plants is asexually by producing spores.
- Gymnosperms are the first nonflowering plants to produce seeds. Gymnosperms started to produce flowers and fruits after 130 million years ago.
It’s time to relax with free solitaire games!